Thursday, March 27, 2014

You CAN do yoga while running!

So the other day I went out for a pretty usual morning run. I did not run a PR, see a talking dog or a 90-year old lady breakdancing. Nevertheless, it was amazing. Like every other morning. 

There is so much craziness in this world so a simple sunrise hardly ever makes for interesting news. In other words, our threshold for "special" has been raised and the bar is super high for that "guess what I saw this morning…" conversation starter. 

It was actually a beautiful morning and it got me thinking more about incorporating yoga into running. Because I really like multitasking. I'm not talking about hopping up into handstand at every mile marker. Although that might be interesting. 

One of the basic guiding principles among the 8 limbs of yoga is something called santosha, or contentment. Being content with what is, rather than what should be or what we wish we had / were / could do. I think runners generally have a hard time with this one. We often take the act of running for granted and then strive to be faster, more efficient or have more endurance to run longer. We rarely stop to think, "Wow, I'm running! Thank you, legs!" Or "Look at the pretty tree! Hey, a squirrel! The grass smells so good! That's a weird-shaped car!" etc. Ok so maybe I just described a runner with an attention problem. Still, I hope you see my point. 

If we always look for what we wish we had, there is a very good chance we will miss the beauty of the present moment. Because I'm pretty sure you can find something special in every moment - you just have to look.

And on that note, every pace is a happy pace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment